Sunday, September 18, 2005

Jeff Wall - Exhibition at The Port


Tensta Konsthall 2 exhibits the work of Canadian photographer Jeff Wall in this collaborative telepresent virtual gallery via the Port and International Festival.

Jeff Walls staged photographs are usually presented on lightboxes, and here in the virtual they are vibrant through the illumination of the computer screen.

I love this kind of use of Second Life as a presentation medium of creative work, as the sense of space and size in works of art can be put across to the audience, which is lost when we just see the image on a website. What I like with this exhibition is the fusing of the real and the virtual gallery by being decorated the same, blurring where the computer's role in the mediation / presentation of the art begins and ends.

4 comments:

Annabeth Robinson said...

Sorry all, I'm switching Word Verification on for commenting, to stop spamming.

MarkD60 said...

This is very cool, but I'm not sure what I am looking at. It looks like scenes from a video game.

I had to turn on Word Verification a week or so ago. Same type of spam.

Annabeth Robinson said...

Second Life looks like a kind of Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game - eg. Star Wars Galaxies or Worlds of Warcraft. But it is much more than a gaming environment, as the virtual world and content is created by the users/players. So while a majority may play it like a version of Sims online - another part of the community is using it for other forms of free expression. or doing both :0)

Anonymous said...

Hello there,

I wonder whether I could get in contact with you - I'm researching a story on Second Life for a UK magazine and wonder whether you'd be up for answering a few questions. You can email me at alex (dot) wiltshire (at) g mail (dot) com. My deadline is next Monday 3rd October - hope you see this in time.

Thanks,

Alex